Now that you’ve decided to try Guild Wars 2, what server should you choose?
- First you need to choose if you want to join an American Server or an European Server . You can’t play (PvE,PvP,WvW) with people from Europe if you chose America as your region and vice versa. (Although you can join an European server if you live in America and vice versa).
- If you have decided to join a guild already, be sure to check if the guild has any server requirements. They might ask you to join a specific server for their guild.
- If you are mostly a PVE player, then joining a specific server is not a big deal since you can play with your friends in-game even if they are on a different server. You can also be on different servers, and still join the same guild.
- However, if you have friends on a specific server and want to do WvW (World vs World or Server vs Server), then you must choose the same server as your friends so you can join them in WvW (or else you might be fighting against them).
- If you want constant action in WvW (which is tons of fun), I recommend you join a tier 1 or tier 2 server. See here for a list and name of servers. The first 6 are t1-t2 servers (see the rightmost column for the tier status).
However, joining tier 1 server is very hard now because most of the time, the tier 1 servers are marked “full”. It’s not that there is no WvW action in other tiers, there certainly is. But from my experience, since I am on a tier 1 server, if I am in the mood join big scale fights, I can just hop in WvW and almost immediately see some action. On low population servers, the WvW action can be occasional and there is a big waiting period between seeing some fights and just roaming around the map. So I’d recommend joining a t1-t2 server (or a t3 server the very least) if you want intend to join epic big scale fights against other players in WvWvW.
Note that in WvW, you can also roam solo or with a small group of 1-5 and engage in smaller fights or 1 on 1 against enemies you see running around the map. Some people prefer this way rather than big “blobby” fights.
- Remember, if you want to transfer to another server, it is very costly! Like For free accounts, you can’t even transfer after you have chosen.
- So as you can see, it is on WvW where the server matters greatly. If you’re pve, then server doesn’t matter much see you can see other players from other servers on the same map.